When it comes to buying a product for my children, I have to do all my research, product and price comparisons, and comparing reviews (cost vs. benefits). I try to get the best deal without sacrificing quality, comfort or safety. I think real mom experiences are what I consider the most, so I thought I'd share my own reviews on the products I've decided to purchase hoping this will be a helpful tool for you! Please feel free to comment or recommend your own products vs. the ones posted here on my blog! Thank you.

Here you'll find reviews, helpful finds and tips, the most updated CPSC child product recalls, and the most current baby deals I can find on the web (and in -stores) possible!!!

If you'd like to see any additional items on this blog that could help you as a mommy, please leave me a comment on my Intro post!!! :) Thank you for reading :).

US Consumer Product Safety Commission - Recent Child-Related Product Recalls

Sep 6, 2009

Top ten diaper bag must-haves

What kind of diaper bag you have isn't as important as what's in the diaper bag.  Here's my advice on things that you should always have packed in the diaper bag (obviously besides diapers and wipes) in no particular order...
1.  Recieving blanket- at least 1.  They can be used for almost anything!  (ie. extra shade to throw over car seat on the way into the store, cover up baby if it's extra cold in the restaurant, rolled up as a little pillow in the car seat if head drops too much to the side, as a burping cloth, as a changing blanket to lay down on the changing tables in public restrooms, etc).
2.  A few small toys that will entertain baby.  Preferably ones that make noise and/or ones that can be chewed on which keeps them busy for awhile.
3.  A make-up or ziploc bag (some diaper bags comes already with a little extra bag) with small travel medicines- infant tylenol, teething medicine, gas drops, thermometer, and neosporin!
4.  A small roll of diaper disposal sacks - I fold up grocery bags if I run out of the sacks.  Very convenient when your little one has a little smelly explosion at a restaurant or grocery store.  Obviously you dont want to stink up the restroom with a smelly diaper, or your car if you have to change baby in the backseat!... a poopy diaper sure can smell up a vehicle fast in the hot sun.
5.  Extra pair of clothes- I keep two onesies and one pant.  My little one will have a diaper explosion at the most inconvenient times!  The day I dont pack the onesie, is the day I'm at the mall and my kid decides to vomit her shirt or poop her pants. 
6. If you nurse...
A nursing cover - It's always nice to have a good nursing cover.  I dont recommend this one or this one, if you pay another $20 you could get one that actually covers you when you're nursing like this one
If you dont nurse...
serving of formula enough for one emergency feeding (in case you forget to pack it or think baby had enough for your "short trip" which ends up longer than planned because of traffic, etc) packed in a formula dispenser or a gerber glass food jar if you dont want to buy one.
7. Gerber or a snack!  (ie. fish crackers, granola bar, fruit)
8. WET ONES!!!!!  Antibacterial wipes.  A wipey can wipe up a messy baby, but it wont kill the germs that get smeared on baby when she/he decides to pet the dog the stranger puts in her face... since it's "sooo cute" and the dog "likes babies".  This also helps to clean down the shopping cart!
9. Bottled Water - In case you need to use it to make babies bottle, or if she's thirsty for something other than milk, or for YOU!
10.  Bulb syringe and saline drops, or for the toddler, a travel pack of tissues.
11.  A bib... for a meal, or for a drooling teether!

Ok, I tried to cut it to ten, but I couldn't find one thing I would choose to leave out over the others.  All in all, these are all generally very small items and take up very little space.  Adding about 3 diapers and a pack of wipes, you're set to go anywhere!  :) 
Let me know if you agree, or if you would have to add something else! 

No comments: